Southern Belle in Training

Fashion, Travel & Lifestyle Blog || Est. 2012 || Virginia Beach, VA

September 6, 2013

Hello 19 {An OOTD, a birthday and a blogoversary}.


     Today is my 19th birthday, and the first blogoversary for Southern Belle in Training!! (Hence why I'm holding a poorly made from printer paper and crayons in my dorm room sign with a large "1" on it ;-))









  • Dress: Red Dress Boutique 
  • Sunglasses: Kohl's 
  • Shoes: Marshall's 
  • Necklace: Gift from my Japanese friend Anna :-) 
  • Nail Polish: Revlon Nail Art Moon Candy in Galactic 
  • Lipstick: Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Pink Velvet
  • Tiara: Target's $1 section!! ;-) 

     I decided to start a new tradition for myself: buying a birthday dress. This tradition was started after I saw this gorgeous maxi dress on sale last month on the Red Dress Boutique's website! I have loved the clothes on Red Dress Boutique for awhile and last Spring I browsed their website quite frequently, but I wanted to wait until they had a sale to purchase something (especially since I'm not a big online shopper). Anyways, Red Dress had a HUGE sale this summer, and when I saw this gorgeous maxi dress for under $20 I knew that I had to have it! It has so hard for me to save it to wear until now, but definitely worth it. It fits me perfectly, and the blue color was even prettier in person than it was on the website.

     Another thing that I've been waiting to try out is this beautiful Revlon nail polish that I'm wearing!! I have been wanting one of the Moon Candy polishes for like *ever*, and when I had some CVS extrabucks last month I decided to spend them on one of these nail polish!! Definitely a great purchase- I love the design of this polish and how one end has the solid color and one end has the beautiful sparkly color. The sparkles are more like flecks, and they give my nails this amazing holographic look! I'm not sure that the picture of my nails did them any justice.


     Anyways, enough fashion. Onto the next item at hand: my BIRTHDAY! :-) All that I've been thinking about over the past few days is how fast my 18th year went by. I've been told that life starts flying as you get older, and I'm not sure that I'm quite ready for full years of my life to go by in a blink. While being college aged has its pros and cons, I'm definitely enjoying this stage of my life and I hope that year 19 goes by a little bit slower! 18 had its highs and its lows, and I'm glad that I had this blog with me through every step of the way to write about everything that happened. Check out yesterday's post to see my favorite posts from my first year of blogging here at Southern Belle in Training!

   
     And now with all that birthday stuff out of the way, I thought that I'd give y'all a little update for how the past week has been for me. The truth is- not too great. The fact that I really did transfer colleges and am never going to be a student at my old school again finally hit me this week... and so did the tears. :-( I didn't realize how much I truly did love my old school until I'd settled in at my new school. Do I regret transferring colleges? Not one bit. I truly believe that I am at my new school for a reason, and there have been a lot of good things in my first few weeks here. But just because I'm enjoying some aspects my new school doesn't mean that I can just forget out all my friends at my old school, either. I've cried at least three times this week with homesickness for my former college (NOT homesickness for Maine... just gotta stress that. ;-) I'm so happy to be in the South again!). The good news is that my former school is only about one hour-ish away from Charlotte, and that makes a day trip very doable. I've already been out once to see some people, and I had a wonderful time, although it was bittersweet to be back there and not be a student.

     But even though not all of this transition has been easy, I honestly am happy that I did decide to transfer. Rush week for the sororities is next week and I CANNOT WAIT! :-) I've also made some amazing friendships with the girls on my hall. I live in the dorm that has the most transfer students, so I've met a lot of girls who are in the same situation that I am. My building also has a lot of exchange students which is very cool! One of them, Katharina (who is from Germany) had her birthday last week, so a bunch of the gals from my hall all got dressed up and went out to eat at the Cheesecake Factory.

Left to right: Melaney (my roomie!), Lacy, Callie, Meg (the lone freshman in our group of transfers :-)), Katie and Yours Truly! 

     Tonight these lovely girls will be joining me for dinner out to celebrate my birthday! Ironically my school's cafeteria is putting on a big cupcake decorating event tonight, so we're all going to that and then heading off campus for my birthday dinner... want to guess what I'm having?! INDIAN FOOD! My favorite. :-) Then my hall girls and some other new friends (and also a couple friends from my old school!) are all going dancing at a nightclub. Don't worry- I don't go to the club to meet or dance with guys that I don't know. I went once last year to a club with just with a small group of friends to have fun, and that's exactly what I'm planning to do again! You can go to a nightclub and not drink, do drugs, or dance inappropriately (with strangers or people you know!)... and still have fun! And some good clean fun is exactly what I'm planning to have tonight... you only turn 19 once!

     Lastly, I want to thank the Lord for blessing me with another year of life. This past week I have been reflecting a lot on the blessings in my life. In fact, that's a great way for me to cheer up when I've been missing my old school! I truly am blessed to be attending a university to get a higher education, and to be healthy. I hope that my faith continues to grow even more this year. I went to a wonderful church last weekend here in Charlotte and the message touched me so much that I actually teared up a bit... I think I've found my new home church!


     Time for me to go celebrate!

     xoxo Miss ALK

Share:

6 comments

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope it is great.... and I love your new tradition of a birthday dress, so fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, pretty girl! Absolutely LOVE the maxi dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday!!! Have a blast with your sweet friends

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Belated Birthday Miss ALk:)

    A birthday dress each year is definitely something you should splurge on. A great idea!

    What a cute maxi dress! Can you believe I don't have one?! I need to get on that for next summer!

    Love this photography too! Do you use a DSLR camera? I'm actually about to get one!

    Ginny
    www.buttergirldiaries.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading Southern Belle in Training! Comments make my day- so feel free to share your thoughts on this post! I read each and every comment.
If you have a question in regards to one of my posts, or just want to say hi, the best way to get ahold of me is by e-mailing me directly at: rainbowflash94@yahoo.com. I am better about responding to e-mails than blog comments sometimes!
Xoxo

Blog Design Created by pipdig